1. The Kogi State Government, on Sunday, said that there was an assassination attempt on the state governor, Yahaya Bello, a few kilometres away from Abuja. According to a statement issued by the State Commissioner for information, Kingsley Fanwo, the attack occurred at about 4 pm on Sunday, October 22, 2023.
2. The Nigerian Army has killed one suspected member of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra and Eastern Security Network in Imo State. The army equally said in a statement that it has nabbed a suspected escapee of the Jos jailbreak, Chimezie Chukwu also known as Bigi during different operations in the South East region of the country.
3. Men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Gombe State Command, have foiled a plan by some individuals to host a same-sex wedding. They arrested 76 suspects in connection with the development.
4. No fewer than five persons were said to have died in an auto crash that occurred at the Kara Bus Stop section of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway on Sunday. About 15 others reportedly sustained varying degrees of injury and are currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital.
5. A grandmother identified as Oluchukwu Nwosu from Nkwelle, Oyi Local Government Area of Anambra State, is in police custody in the state for allegedly selling a newborn for N50, 000. It was gathered that the baby was delivered out of wedlock by the suspect’s daughter identified as Ijeoma. She was arrested after the mother of the baby raised an alarm.
6. The Court of Appeal in Abuja has nullified the victory of the Senate Minority Leader, Simon Mwadkwon, who represents Plateau North Senatorial District. A three-member panel of justices ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to, within 90 days, conduct a fresh election in the senatorial district.
7. Benue State police command, on Sunday, warned that it would not approve any form of protest in the state for the time being. This is contained in a statement by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Sewuese Anene and made available to journalists in Makurdi. Anene said that the command was in the know of a planned protest by a group of persons in the state.
8. Suspected Boko Haram insurgents have attacked a customs house in Geidam town, Geidam LGA, Yobe State, killing one officer, identified as Usman Gombe. It was gathered that the insurgents stormed the customs house along Maine Soroa road in a Volkswagen Golf and a Land Rover around 10 pm on Saturday and started shooting.
9. Troops of the 33 Brigade have neutralised the leader of one of the notorious bandits terrorising residents of Ningi Local Government of Bauchi State. It was gathered on Sunday that the notorious bandit identified as Ya’u was killed in an ambush laid for him and his group at a crossing point in Bura, Ningi on Friday.
10. The Federal Government, late Sunday evening, reopened the Third Mainland Bridge barely 24 hours after closure for palliative work. The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs. Olukorede Kesha expressed satisfaction with repairs done on the Bridge, assuring motorists of a smooth ride till the commencement of comprehensive rehabilitation in January 2024.